Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Breakfast for Supper

My family loves to have a BIG breakfast! This however isn't always easy to do in the mornings. So, once in a while we have breakfast for supper with all the fixings. Pancakes and/or waffles, bacon and/or sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, milk, juice - THE WORKS!!!



While you have the griddle out this is a great time to make some extra bacon to use later on sandwiches or in salads and extra pancakes or waffles for the freezer.



This is the recipe that my family prefers for pancakes. It was given me by my mother-in-law. She calls them Swedish pancakes. These pancakes are thinner than regular pancakes but not quite as thin as crepes. I have even given them to the kids with apple butter or jam or honey (I like flavored cream cheese) spread on them and rolled up.


Swedish Pancakes

The night before (Personally, I never do this) mix:

1 pk yeast

2 c. all purpose flour

2 c. warm water

1 tbsp. sugar

Leave in the fridge overnight.

The next morning (or when you are ready to use it) add:

1 egg

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

3 tbsp. oil

Whisk and spoon onto an oiled griddle. Turn when the first side is covered in bubbles. The second side cooks really quickly.

1 comment:

Sonshine said...

I wish I could get my hubby to like breakfast for dinner. He thinks that breakfast type meals are for breakfast time! So what I do sometimes is if he is gone on business, I schedule breakfast for dinner for the kids and I...they like it!

Interesting recipe for pancakes...I don't think I have seen a pancake recipe with yeast in the batter before! Hummm might have to give it a try. :)